Outline for Medical Student Research Travel Awards
Purpose: To provide funding for medical student research presentations at regional or national meetings
Eligible Students: Enrolled in School of Medicine
- Abstract submitted and accepted reflecting student research
- Preference to MS1 research fellowship awards, 3rd year and 4th year research students, and T32 students
- Preference to abstracts in which the student is presenter
- If funding permits, students may be funded to attend meetings without an abstract, e.g. to become more familiar with area of research
- Maximum of $500 per student toward registration, travel expenses, and abstract preparation. Expenses beyond that the responsibility of mentor and student.
- Maximum of $1000 per student toward registration, travel expenses, and abstract preparation for students that have both
a) An oral presentation by the student
b) At a meeting outside of California
- Students complete application for funding, including meeting information, abstract title (including all authors and affiliations), mentor’s name, anticipated expenses
- Funding approved based on above criteria
- Following meeting, student submits evidence of expenditures up to $500 or up to $1000 for an oral presentation and a meeting outside of California
- Funds disbursed
When requesting travel funding for research, professional development, or other scholarly activities, students must complete the following a minimum of 1 week in advance of the travel date if it impacts in-person active learning, 6 weeks in advance if it impacts Longitudinal Clinical Experience (LCE), or by the funding request deadline, whichever is earliest
- Curriculum Permission:
- For MS1s and MS2s, complete the Pre-Clerkship Absence Notification Form unique to your class within Elentra, in accordance with the Pre-Clerkship Attendance, Participation & Absence Policy.
- For MS3s, complete the Absence Notification Form found within each clerkship Elentra page, in accordance with the Clerkship Attendance, Participation & Absence Policy.
- For MS4s, request permission directly through your department/rotation supporting team (coordinator, director, and patient care team), in accordance with the Post-Clerkship Phase Attendance, Participation and Absence Policy.
- Email Registrar’s Office (firstname.lastname@example.org) to request a “Letter of Good Standing.” The Registrar’s Office can provide this only if you are in good academic standing.
- Submit required approvals to funding unit (eg. OSRD, research programs, etc.) in advance when able to. No funds will be distributed/expensed until approvals are in place.
- Proof of your Expected Family Contribution from one of the following sources: FAFSA, CA DREAM Act Application, AMCAS Student Aid Report
Allowable Absences Guide
- MS1/MS2: Variable based on course, please review the absence notification form for allotted days based on timing of request.
- MS3: 2 days off from each 6-week clerkship, no more than 7 days total missed during the academic year
- MS4: Usually a single day off on a 2-week rotation and 2-3 days on a 4-week rotation
Click here for application; Travel Awards Application (PDF)