The UC Davis School of Medicine admissions cycle starts in July and ends the following July and consists of four major steps:
STEP 1: Complete your AMCAS Application
Update as of 3-25-2020: Due to the COVID 19 Pandemic, our deadline for the 2020-2021 admission cycle is now December 1, 2020 at 12 a.m. EST (9 p.m. PST).
June 1 is the first day students may submit applications (M.D., M.D./Ph.D.) to the American Medical College Application Service. October 1 at 12 a.m. EST (9 p.m. PST) is our deadline to submit all application materials to AMCAS. Extensions will not be considered. Please add our email address firstname.lastname@example.org in your contact list so avoid admissions communications navigating into the spam folder.
STEP 2: Secondary Application (by invitation only)
After applying, your application is reviewed and qualified applicants are invited to complete our UC Davis School of Medicine secondary application.
The secondary application consists of:
- Supplementary activities and essays including possible interest in UC Davis PRIME and/or ARC-MD
- Letters of recommendation (3-6 LORs allowed; at least one from a physician or clinician recommended.)
- Complete prerequisite information
- Non-refundable application fee: $120
Completed secondary applications are forwarded to the admissions committee who perform a holistic review of applications and invite select applicants for an interview. Interview invitations are on a rolling basis – July through February.
Current applicants can log into the application portal for updates and to communicate with the Admissions Office.
STEP 3: Interview Day (by invitation only)
Our interviews are always held on Fridays starting in mid-August and ending in March/April. Below is more detailed information on your interview visit:
- Applicant Host Program: During your visit, you will have the opportunity to stay cost-free with one of our current medical students. Two weeks prior to your interview day, you will be given instructions on how to sign-up for the Applicant Host Program. Because of the limited number of medical students available, accommodations with student host are made on a “First Come, First Confirmed” basis. Applicant Host Program is completely run by current medical students and the student hosts are not reimbursed for any cost associated with hosting an applicant. Therefore, please do not ask Hosts to provide transportation to and from the airport or bus station.
- Get directions and view the parking map
- Student-Run Clinics tour (optional): During your visit to UC Davis School of Medicine, you will have an opportunity to visit any of our 7 student-run clinics. All tours are conducted on Saturday except for the Shifa tour which is held on Sunday. Reservations to visit a clinic are made on a “First Come, First Confirmed” basis until all slots are filled. A week before your interview, you will receive instructions on how to sign-up for this tour.
STEP 4: Acceptance Decision
Upon completion of your interview, your application is forwarded to Admissions Committee. Acceptance decisions are made on a rolling basis starting on October 15 through July 15 the following year. Decisions are made within 30-45 days post-interview after review of your entire application packet. All decisions are final and we have a no feedback policy on applications.
Categories of decision are:
- Acceptance: Starting October 15 through July 15
- Waitlist: Applicant informed of waitlist status with final decision starting May 1 through July 15
- Not Accepted
- Admission decisions will be based upon the information contained in the application materials at the time of review. The Admissions Committee does not accept updates from applicants including activities additions/updates, additional letters of recommendation, etc. Note: Substantial changes such as citizenship status or recipient of a nationally recognized award may be review and considered by the admissions committee on a case-by-case basis.
In summary, the admissions process occurs in four major steps:
- Secondary Application Invitation: Experiences, attributes, and/or metrics from the AMCAS application are reviewed to determine suitability for a secondary application.
- Interview Invitation: After the Secondary Application (particularly the 3 formative activities) and Letters of Recommendation have been received, the applicant’s entire set of experiences, attributes, and metrics are considered to determine interview invitations.
- Interview: We use the Multiple Mini Interview (MMI) to delve more deeply into the applicant’s experiences and gain a deeper understanding of attributes relevant to a medical career. Our MMI is a blinded (closed-file) interview process.
- Acceptance: The Admissions Committee members review and make decisions based on the entire application packet including all experiences, attributes, and metrics to determine whether the applicant possesses the intellect, integrity, skills, and personal and emotional qualities necessary to become an effective physician.
At the UC Davis School of Medicine, we are committed to ensuring that every application is reviewed by at least one admissions committee faculty member before any final decision is rendered. Admission decisions are made without consideration of political or financial factors.