The UC Davis School of Medicine admissions cycle starts in July and ends the following July. Upon applying through AMCAS, you receive information on how to enter and use the Applicant Portal. All communications and updates related to your application are managed through the Applicant Portal. For your convenience, please communicate through the Message Center, which is checked regularly. The UC Davis School of Medicine admissions process consists of four major steps:
STEP 1: Complete your AMCAS Application
June 1 is the first day students may submit applications to the American Medical College Application Service. It is a good idea to submit your AMCAS application no later than August 1. October 1 at 12am EST (9pm PST) is our deadline to submit all application materials to AMCAS. Extensions will not be considered. Current applicants can log into the application portal for updates and to communicate with the Admissions Office.
STEP 2: Secondary Application (by invitation only)
After applying, your application is reviewed and qualified applicants are invited to complete our UC Davis School of Medicine secondary application. The secondary application consists of:
- Supplementary activities and essays including possible interest in Tailored Clinical Tracks and Research Pathways
- Letters of recommendation (3-6 LORs allowed)
- Complete prerequisite information
- Non-refundable application fee: $105
Completed secondary applications are forwarded to the admissions committee who perform a holistic review of applications and invite select applicants for an interview. Interview invitations are on a rolling basis – July through January.
STEP 3: Interview Day (by invitation only)
Our interviews are always held on Fridays starting in mid-August and ending in March. Below is more detailed information on your interview visit:
- Applicant Host Program: During your visit, you will have the opportunity to stay cost-free with one of our current medical students. Two weeks prior to your interview day, you will be given instructions on how to sign-up for the Applicant Host Program. Because of the limited number of medical students available, accommodations with student host are made on a “First Come, First Confirmed” basis. Applicant Host Program is completely run by current medical students and the student hosts are not reimbursed for any cost associated with hosting an applicant. Therefore, please do not ask Hosts to provide transportation to and from the airport or bus station.
- Directions (PDF)/Parking/Map (PDF)
- Student-Run Clinics tour (optional): During your visit to UC Davis School of Medicine, you will have an opportunity to visit any of our 7 student-run clinics.
Tours occur on Saturdays and each clinic has capacity for a limited number of visitors. Reservations to visit a clinic are made on a “First Come, First Confirmed” basis until all slots are filled. A week before your interview, you will receive instructions on how to sign-up for this tour.
STEP 4: Acceptance Decision
Upon completion of your interview, your application is forwarded to Admissions Committee. Acceptance decisions are made on a rolling basis starting on 10/15 through 7/15 the following year. Decisions are made within 30 days post-interview after review of your entire application packet. Categories of decision are:
- Acceptance: Starting 10/15 and through 7/15
- Waitlist: Applicant informed of waitlist status with final decision starting 5/1 through 7/15
- Not Accepted
The Admissions Committee will only accept updates from applicants invited to interview. Updates MUST be sent via the Message Center in the Applicant Portal and follow the character count limit. Attachments and additional letters will not be accepted.
In summary, the admissions process occurs in four major steps:
- Secondary Application Invitation: Experiences, attributes, and/or metrics from the AMCAS application are reviewed to determine suitability for a secondary application.
- Interview Invitation: After the Secondary Application (particularly the 3 formative activities) and Letters of Recommendation have been received, the applicant’s entire set of experiences, attributes, and metrics are considered to determine interview invitations.
- Interview: We use the Multiple Mini Interview (MMI) to delve more deeply into the applicant’s experiences and gain a deeper understanding of attributes relevant to a medical career. Our MMI is a blinded (closed-file) interview process.
- Acceptance: The Admissions Committee members review and make decisions based on the entire application packet including all experiences, attributes, and metrics to determine whether the applicant possesses the intellect, integrity, skills, and personal and emotional qualities necessary to become an effective physician.
At the UC Davis School of Medicine, we are committed to ensuring that every application is reviewed by at least one admissions committee faculty member before any final decision is rendered. Admission decisions are made without consideration of political or financial factors.