A gift of life — Become a stem cell donor

Each year nearly 20,000 people ages 0 to 74 in the U.S. are Stem celldiagnosed with life-threatening illnesses in which blood stem cell transplantation from a related or unrelated matched donor is the best treatment option. Only 30 percent of patients will have a relative who matches and is able to donate. The other 70 percent need someone to donate their healthy stem cells. They depend on an unrelated donor or collected cord blood units.

If you would like to learn about donating stem cells or become a stem cell donor and join a volunteer registry, please contact or register at:
  • Your local public blood bank if you live away from Sacramento
  • A bone marrow drive in your area
If you are parents who would like to donate cord blood from your newborn, please contact: