Medical Education Track
The future of academic medicine relies on strong teachers and leaders. There are few places where a resident can gain formal education and practice in learning theory, effective teaching and feedback techniques, presentation expertise, and leadership skills. The Internal Medicine Residency program offers a one-year Medical Education Track geared toward mastering these skills as you gain valuable experience as teachers.
Residents in the Medical Education Track will meet with top clinician-educators to learn key teaching skills. Those who completed the track and gone on to jobs or fellowships uniformly have stated that their potential new employers highly regarded this experience.
The medical education track curriculum takes place during the 2nd or 3rd year of residency, and residents can apply in the second half of either their 1st or 2nd year.
Residents in this track receive specialized training on how to become an expert clinical-educator and are given multiple opportunities to practice their skills. Some of these activities include:
- Attending seminars on topics such as learning climate, teaching at the bedside, giving feedback, working with learners in difficulty, teaching in large and small groups, and mentoring;
- (Optional) Working on a project with the mentorship of a medical educator;
- Receiving top priority for taking the Master Clinician Educator Elective, our top-rated elective in the program;
- Precepting second-year medical students when they visit the inpatient ward teams;
- Helping to facilitate first- and second- year medical student active learning sessions;
- Working with curriculum leads to develop and assess novel curricula at the student and resident levels;
- Delivering a lecture in either small group format to medical students or interns or large group format to residents where you will be observed and provided with direct feedback.
Licensed residents may also choose to practice their skills by serving as teaching attendings for students in the UC Davis School of Medicine Student-Run Clinics.