Emanual Maverakis, M.D.
Dr. Maverakis’ group has a wide variety of interests including: immunotherapies for melanoma, T cell mediated skin diseases, and the murine models of autoimmunity. Dr. Maverakis is funded by the Burroughs Wellcome Fund, the National Institutes of Health, the Department of Veterans Affairs, and the Howard Hughes Medical Institute. His recent publications have appeared in journals such as: The Journal of Experimental Medicine, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, and The Journal of Clinical Investigation.
Clinically, Dr. Maverakis specializes in the treatment of patients with severe immune-mediated systemic diseases involving the skin.
Undergraduate Education: University of California Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA, B.S. Summa Cum Laude
Medical Education: Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, M.D. Summa Cum Laude
Fellowship: Howard Hughes Medical Institute Fellow, La Jolla Institute for Immunology, La Jolla, CA
Internship: Harvard's Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Boston, MA, Internal Medicine
Residency: University of California, Davis, Davis, CA, Dermatology
An up-to-date list of publications can be found at: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/?term=Maverakis+E&sort=pubdate)
- Park D, Phoomak C, Xu G, Olney LP, Tran KA, Park SS, Haigh NE, Li Q, Shimoda M, Matoba N, Fierro F, Wongkham S, Merleev AA, Luxardi G, Maverakis E, Lebrilla CB. Metastasis of cholangiocarcinoma is promoted by extended high mannose glycans. PROCEEDINGS OF THE NATIONAL ACADEMY OF SCIENCES U.S.A 2020 Apr 7;117(14):7633-7644
- Merleev AA, Park D, Xie Y, Kailemia MJ, Xu G, Ruhaak LR, Kim K, Hong Q, Li Q, Patel F, Wan YY, Marusina AI, Adamopoulos IE, Lal NN, Mitra A, Le ST, Shimoda M, Luxardi G, Lebrilla CB, Maverakis E. A site-specific map of the human plasma glycome and its age and gender-associated alterations. SCIENTIFIC REPORTS, 17505 (2020). (This manuscript is a comprehensive map of the human plasma glycome)
- Maverakis E, Marzano AV, Le ST, Callen JP, Brüggen MC, Guenova E, Dissemond J, Shinkai K, Langan SM. Pyoderma gangrenosum. NATURE REVIEWS DISEASE PRIMERS. 2020 Oct 8;6(1):81.
- Khuat LT, Le CT, Pai CCS, Maverakis E, ... Murphy WJ. Obesity and Microbiome Alterations Augment Acute Gastrointestinal Graft-Versus-Host Disease After Allogeneic Stem Cell Transplantation. SCIENCE TRANSLATIONAL MEDICINE 2020 In Press
- Tuscano JM, Poh C, Kaesberg P, Luxardi G, Merleev A, Marusina A, Brunson A, Rosenberg A, Jonas B, Maverakis E. Rituximab and Lenalidomide followed by Continuous Lenalidomide in Untreated and Relapsed/Refractory Indolent Lymphoma: Long-term Follow-up and Correlative Analysis. CLINICAL CANCER RESEARCH. 2021 in press
- Patrick GJ, Liu H, Alphonse MP, Dikeman DA, Youn C, Otterson JC, Wang Y, … Maverakis E, Garza LA, Milner JD, Gao P, Ramanujam M, Raymond EL, Archer NK, and Miller LS. Epicutaneous Staphylococcus aureus induces IL-36 to enhance IgE production and ensuing allergic disease. JOURNAL OF CLINICAL INVESTIGATION 2021 131(5)
- Werth VP, Joly P, Mimouni D, Maverakis E, Caux F, Lehane P, Gearhart L, Kapre A, Pordeli P, Chen DM. Rituximab versus Mycophenolate Mofetil in Patients with Pemphigus Vulgaris. NEW ENGLAND JOURNAL OF MEDICINE. 2021 Jun 17;384(24):2295-2305
To schedule an appointment and to see if Dr. Emanual Maverakis is accepting new patients please call: 916-734-6111.