Pediatric Imaging Fellowship Program
Pediatric Imaging Fellowship
Rebecca Stein-Wexler, M.D.
Number of Fellowship Positions: 1 per year
Duration of Fellowship: 1 year
We offer a comprehensive training experience at UC Davis Children’s Hospital and at the adjacent Shriner’s Hospital for Children Northern California. Our group of 6 pediatric radiologists is dedicated to providing high quality teaching and patient care. With an annual case volume of over 55,000, these institutions offer ample breadth and depth of pathology.
Training consists of 9 months dedicated to core pediatric imaging, where the fellow develops autonomy performing and interpreting Pediatric Fluoroscopy, Radiography, Ultrasound, and Body/MSK CT and MRI. They spend one month at Shriner’s Hospitals for Children, where the main focus is on musculoskeletal radiography and ultrasound. The pediatric radiology fellow will participate in pediatric interventional cases as they arise. The remaining 3 months are divided between Nuclear medicine, Neuroradiology, and Cardiac imaging, where the fellow focuses on relevant pediatric cases.
Teaching and Conferences:
Weekly didactic conferences are tailored for fellow education, with lectures by pediatric radiologists as well as subspecialists in orthopedic surgery, pediatric surgery, urology, and others. The University offers courses intended to enhance professional development, and the fellow is encouraged to participate in these as well.
There are numerous clinical conferences, which the fellow leads and/or attends. These include:
- Pediatric tumor board
- Pediatric surgery
- Pediatric neuroradiology
- Child abuse review
- Pediatric case conference
- Pediatric ER conference
The pediatric fellow is encouraged to develop their teaching skills by delivering didactic and case-based lectures to residents and medical students.
Fellows are expected to participate in new or ongoing scholarly activity. Exceptional new imaging resources are available for fellows to pursue research projects. Fellows can also work with our physicists, who are actively involved with dose reduction and other research. Depending on their level of interest in research, fellows are allotted approximately 0.5 days (or more) per week for research pursuits.
- Completion of an ACGME-accredited internship (PGY-1) year in the United States or Canada.
- Requirements and procedures for licensing in California have changed and are substantially different than years past. Please visit the California Medical Board Licensing Requirements page for specific details of the new requirements. Additional information concerning licensure is available from the Division of Licensing, Medical Board of California, 2005 Evergreen Street #1200, Sacramento, CA 95825, calling 916-263-2344, or by visiting the Division of Licensing, Medical Board of California website.
- Requirement for acceptance of international medical graduates at UC Davis for postgraduate training
To apply, please submit the following materials to Elisavett Souza at the email address below.
- Current CV.
- A letter of recommendation from the chair of your radiology department or the director of your radiology residency program mailed directly to our program.
- Two additional letters of recommendation from physicians of your choice addressed to the fellowship director, mailed directly to our program.
- A letter from the dean of your medical school addressed to the fellowship director.
- USMLE scores.
- Medical school transcripts
- Personal statement.
- Current photo (to ensure we have the correct applicant with the correct file during rank period).
- A copy of ECFMG certificate, if applicable.
If you have questions or would like to submit your application materials, please contact: