Brain and Spine MRI
How do I prepare for my Brain or Spine exam?
- You will be asked to arrive 20 minutes prior to your appointment.
- During check-in process you will be asked to fill out the MRI Safety Form, Click Here to view the form.
- You will be asked to change into a hospital gown and lock up your belongings.
- Unless your exam will be done under General Anesthesia, there is no preparation and you can eat and drink prior to your exam.
- Brain and Spine exams are done in all locations, for directions please click here for directions.
What will happen during my Brain or Spine exam?
- During the exam you may be given an injection of contrast fluid called gadolinium. This will be administered through a very small IV line in your arm.
- Your MRI can last anywhere from 30 minutes to more than an hour.
- You will be given earplugs as the magnet creates a knocking sound during the exam. If you are claustrophobic, you may want to ask the doctor who ordered this MRI for a mild sedative to take before the exam. Please click here to be directed to our Comfort page.
- You must hold very still because movement can blur the resulting images and delay the completion of the exam.
- There are no restrictions after your exam and you may eat and drink as usual.