Research in Plastic Surgery
UC Davis Plastic Surgery is dedicated to providing innovative and progressive medical care to patients requiring reconstructive surgery as a result of trauma, cancer resection, congenital defects and a variety of related conditions while simultaneously contributing to scientific advances through innovative clinical and laboratory trials.
Recent and current studies have explored:
- Wound healing via stem cell research
- Use of Adipose-derived Stem Cells (ASCs) to provide tissue regeneration in bone healing
- Effect of adipose-derived stem cells on breast cancer
- Use of acellular dermal matrixes in post mastectomy breast reconstruction
- The effect of sternal plating techniques to mitigate dehisced or tenuous sternal wound closure
- Nano-medicine platform for treatment of infantile hemangioma
Our research capabilities include:
- Investigators with broad expertise in basic science, translational research and clinical trials
- Certified and experienced research support staff
- State-of-the-art clinical facilities, imaging systems and interventional capabilities
- UC Davis Clinical and Translational Science Center
A key emphasis of the Plastic Surgery is collaboration with UC Davis specialists in fields such as cardiothoracic surgery, surgical oncology, GI and bariatric surgery, Biomedical Engineering along with integrating established and emerging diagnostic and therapeutic methods into research. This approach assures integrated, seamless treatment options, while reducing risks to patients.