Assistant Clinical Professor

Janet Meda Janet Meda is an assistant clinical professor for the Master of Science – Family Nurse Practitioner and Master of Health Services – Physician Assistant Studies degree programs at the Betty Irene Moore School of Nursing at UC Davis. In a unique dual academic and clinical appointment, Meda divides her time between the School of Nursing and as a family nurse practitioner at the Sacramento County Health Center. She provides clinical services in the Internal Medicine Department for 80% of her time and leads classroom instruction and clinical precepting for School of Nursing students the remaining 20%.

Meda has more than 28 years of diverse nursing experience. Previously, she served in Zimbabwe as a registered nurse at the peak of HIV/ AIDS epidemic before access to antiretroviral therapy. Because of the limited number of doctors in Zimbabwe at that time, she led, as a registered nurse, health care delivery in communities. She has also worked as a nurse in Michigan and Bakersfield, California. As a family nurse practitioner her clinical experiences include rural health, urgent care, family medicine, and correctional medicine. She comes from California Prison Health Care Services with diverse clinical expertise including trauma, inpatient, outpatient and management of chronic and complex diseases. In correctional medicine, she managed issues such as is enhanced by patients’ lack of access to health care services prior to incarceration, chronic mental health problems, substance abuse disorder and other social determinants, including homelessness. She taught at Bakersfield University of Phoenix Campus as a health sciences adjunct professor.

Meda earned a Diploma in Nursing from the Harare School of Nursing in Zimbabwe. She later earned both a bachelor’s and master’s degrees in Nursing from Holy Names University in Oakland, California. She completed a Doctor of Nursing Practice Degree at Frontier Nursing University in Hyden, Kentucky.

In 2017, Meda completed a one-year fellowship program through the Duke-Johnson & Johnson Nurse Leadership Program. The program prepares advanced practice nurse fellows to transform clinical practice and improve health within their communities.

She is committed to life-long learning and serving as a role model for future clinical leaders and advanced practice providers. She takes pride in being a patient advocate, providing quality and equitable care, to reduce health disparities and improve outcomes including health care delivery of the vulnerable and marginalized populations.

Contact Information: Phone: 916-416-4074 | Email: jmeda@ucdavis.edu